A Simple Guide How To Keep Produce Fresh At Farmers Market
A simple guide to using your Grizzly cooler to keep produce fresh and free from wilting. When it comes to making sales at the local farmers market it’s important to keep food fresh not only for nutrition, but for looks. Produce that is free from wilt and presented in it’s most beautiful condition attracts happy buyers.
Here are a few tips to keep your produce not only nutritious, but looking good on the stand.
- Pick produce from the field in the early morning or late evening, the coolest part of the day.
- Immediately after picking, cool produce by placing it in coolers at proper temperature. A cooler with a good amount of ice will keep a temperature below 40℉.
Produce That Should Be Cooled To Between 33℉ - 40℉
Fruit: Apples, Apricots, Blackberries, Blueberries, Cantaloupe, Cherries, Grapes, Peaches, Pears, Plums, Raspberries, Strawberries, Cantaloupe
Veggies: Arugula, Asparagus, Beets, Bok choy, Broccoli, Brussel Sprouts, Cabbage, Cauliflower, Celery, Collard Greens, Garlic, Green Onion, Herbs, Horseradish, Kale, Lettuce, Parsnip, Peas, Radish, Rutabaga, Rhubarb, Spinach, Sweet Corn, Turnips and Greens
- At the Farmers Market be sure to provide shade to protect produce that is set out.
- Place ice on the market table underneath produce that will tolerate it.
- Mist produce with clean, cool, drinking water periodically.
- Keep a limited amount of produce on display. Produce kept in the cooler will stay more fresh. As produce is purchased you can replenish your table as needed and ensure your harvest looks its best from field to table.
When We Go To Farmers Market It Looks A Little Like This
Grizzly Outdoor Coolers act as the perfect mechanism to keep produce fresh. With superior ice retention and the ability to sustain a temperature between 33-40℉ you can rest easy knowing your ice will last all day long.
- We bring 2 Grizzly 60’s and pack one completely with spinach and one with lettuce. These greens fly off the table at our market and the G60’s not only keep them cool all day long but are still manageable to carry the distance from truck to table.
- The Grizzly 40 is the perfect size to stack pints and quarts of berries. We have found that using the G40 is nice for mobility and organization. Depending on the season sometimes we have 3 different types of berries in 3 G40 coolers.
- The Grizzly 20 we bring for a different reason. It keeps our lunch and drinks cold to keep us selling all day long.
Grizzly Coolers are proud to help you keep your harvest, “farmers market fresh.” We hope you enjoy a plentiful growing and selling season this year!